Monday, August 30, 2010

Fast Forward

I didn't come along until 1998. By then Joey had gone through a lot of rehab. His original functioning level was at T11/12? He spent several months in a local rehab facility. A few weeks into his recovery Joey noticed his hands were always cold and some strange tingling in his fingers. He made sure to tell the Doctors and Nurses, but they sort of dismissed his concern. It turns out he had some type of swelling in his neck that caused him to lose everything from his neck down. He spent the next few months working on getting his arms and hands back. Due to this swelling Joey lost some ability he would have had and now functions at T6. At this level of functioning he can not feel anything or move anything from the middle of his chest down.

We dated for a few months in 1998 but my mother (she's a story in herself) didn't want me to be with Joey because he was in a wheelchair. So she made it really difficult for us to spend any time together. In May of 1998 Joey was diagnosed with an infection in his tailbone and had to have some of it shaved away. The Doctors also recommended a colostomy
(
an artificial opening from the colon through the abdominal wall to bypass a diseased portion of the lower intestine and permit passage of intestinal contents.) to ensure infection would stay away. During his recovery he became very distant and I became very upset. We didn't do a very good job communicating at that point and our relationship came to and end for a few years. Over the next few years we had minimal contact and dated other people.

In April of 2000 I was living on my own and had just ended a relationship. I got home from work one night and noticed on my caller ID that Joey had called. I immediately called him back just to find out he had also just ended a relationship. I asked him if wanted some company and he said yes. I got to his house and it was as if we had never been apart. We picked up right where we left off. By December of 2000 we were engaged and by February of 2001 I moved in with him and his parents. What an exciting time in our life!!! Over the next few years we spent a lot of time learning and growing as individuals and a couple. There were a few minor medical issues that required a hospital stay here and there but nothing serious.

On September 27, 2003 we were married! Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Krycia, FINALLY!





1 comment:

  1. I've always loved that pic of you guys so much! Keep writing friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete